Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Some Thoughts

Here are some quick thoughts, mostly from tonight's action around the league:

I know there are ideas being kicked around regarding changing up the overtime format in the NHL. I like the idea of going from 4-on-4 to 3-on-3 but a quick tweak to the existing format would be to have the teams switch sides after regulation. That way each team has the long change during 4-on-4 play - one would think that there would be less shootouts and more overtime scoring. Just a thought.

When I got out of the gym tonight and looked at the score for at the Penguins vs Bruins game, it was 4-2 Pens after two periods, they were outshooting the Bruins 34-20, and Sidney Crosby had a goal and 2 apples. I thought, 'the Pens are starting to turn it around' - guess I was way wrong because I turned on the tube in just enough time to see the two-goal lead evaporated within 15 seconds. The Bruins would add three more (one was an empty net). If Marc-Andre Fluery doesn't find his game soon, the Pens are going to be in trouble - or Dan Bylsma.




Like most of this country, I dislike everything New Jersey. My reasons are not all completely unfounded, some are, but I don't want to get into specifics - just trust me on this one. So, one could only imagine the amount of joy I'm receiving watching the bottom-dweller-Devils implode. I didn't like the Kovalchuk trade last season nor the free-agent signing where I mention the possibility of becoming a bust (even though there's 14 more years for this one to pan out) but Kovy reached a new low tonight when his dismal shootout attempt denied his team the opportunity to win the extra point against the Sabres. Check it out:



How about the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight? Facing the St. Louis Blues who were riding a 7-game winning streak with, arguably, the best goaltender in the league right now in Jaroslav Halak, the Jackets posted a snowman against the Blues winning 8-1. Jakub Vorecek and Chris Clark each had two goals and Derick Brassard had three assists. Also, this was the first time this season the Jackets scored more than 3 goals in a game.

Toronto lost again. Ron Wilson firing? Anyone?

Goal of the night....

Goes to Nathan Horton of the Boston Bruins with a smooth move to come from behind the net with the puck and goes shelf on Brent Johnson. Great pickup by Boston, Horton could score 40 this season.



No comments:

Post a Comment